Information for Candidates
Requirements & Filing Deadlines
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ANNUAL CITY MEETING MARCH 6 2018:
Petitions need to be filled out showing your name, the office, and term for which you are running. This information needs to be on each page of your petition. You must also submit a consent form to the City Clerk's Office. It would be helpful if the consent form was submitted at the same time you file your petitions:
- Click here for the Consent form (for city offices).
- Click here for the Consent form (for non-city offices).
- Click here for a sample candidate petition.
The city offices on the ballot are:
The non-city offices on the ballot are:
- MAYOR (2 year term)
- CITY COUNCIL DISTRICT 1 (2 year term
- CITY COUNCIL DISTRICT 2 (2 year term)
- CITY COUNCIL DISTRICT 3 (2 year term)
- GREEN MOUNT CEMETERY COMMISSIONER (5 year term)
- PARK COMMISSIONER (5 year term)
- PARK COMMISSIONER (1 year term)
- CITY CLERK (3 year term)
- CENTRAL VERMONT PUBLIC SAFETY AUTHORITY AT-LARGE MEMBER (2 year term)
- SCHOOL DISTRICT CLERK (1 year term)
- SCHOOL DISTRICT TREASURER (1 year term)
- SCHOOL DISTRICT MODERATOR (1 year term)
City office petitions must contain no fewer than 25 names of registered voters in the City of Montpelier. A voter shall not sign more petitions than the number of candidates to be elected for each individual office.
Non-city office petitions must contain no fewer than 30 names of registered voters in the jurisdiction.
If there is competition for any city office, candidates will appear in order assigned by the drawing of lots by the Board of Civil Authority.
If there is competition for any non-city office, candidates will appear in alphabetical order.
The deadline for petitions for city office to be received in the City Clerk's office is February 4, 2018 (as this is a Sunday, the drop box in the rear of City Hall may be used).
The deadline for petitions for non-city office is January 29, 2018.
If you raise or spend $500 or more, open a campaign bank account, or make a mass media expenditure of $500 or more, campaign finance filings are required to be filed with the Secretary of State.